Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

"It is not about how much money you make. The question is, are you educated enough to KEEP it." -Dr.Shaq

Recently, I stumbled upon a post on Instagram, regarding the now Dr. Shaquille O’Neal, Ed.D.  “Shaq," as he is popularly known, did not always title of “doctor,” and reflectively, I’ve often heard that there is not much value in a college education or degree.

         During my senior year in high school, I took my first Economics course. I was immediately fascinated by the subject matter and shocked at my knowledge deficiencies. The course taught me the wonders and powers of the knowledge of applied economics. I made a decision to design a solid plan that will assure my future financial strength and stability.

         My original goal is to build and acquire new knowledge that will provide substance and so far, I’ve learned the many aspects and benefits of digital marketing. I will apply the material personally and professionally by continuing to enhance my innovative ideas that will stimulate my knowledge and peers. I’ve digresses. After delving into the retired NBA superstar’s past experiences, my knowledge has again increased and my plans have been enhanced.

         In 1992, when Shaquille O'neal was drafted into the NBA, he spent his first million dollars within 30 minutes. This led to a wake-up phone call from his banker. Shaq was advised, cautioned, and told if changes are now made, he will end up joining the list of former athletes who are now utterly broke. O'neal began his educational journey at LSU but wisely decided to become astute in business and finance. In 2000, he returned to college, completing his Bachelor's of Arts in General Studies, followed by his M.B.A online from the University of Phoenix, and lastly, his EdD from Barry University.

         As of today, Shaq is the joint owner of 155 Five Guys Burger restaurants; 17 Auntie Annie's Pretzels restaurants; 150 car washes; 40 Twenty-four hour fitness centers; a shopping center; a movie theater; and several Las Vegas nightclubs. In addition to his business holdings, O'neal still earns $22 million per year (roughly $423,000 per week) from his endorsement deals with Arizona Creme soda, Icy Hot, Gold Bond, Buick, Zales, and at least a half dozen additional corporate sponsors. He is also a studio analyst for TNT. In Shaq's own words, "It is not about how much money you make. The question is, are you educated enough to KEEP it."


         According to Financial Juneteenth, “Education is the key to protecting wealth,” and I could not agree more. Dr. O’Neal is a brilliant example of the value of education and a college degree. Indeed, there is a time value to money and the value of financial literacy should never be underestimated. The rule for the majority, is educated individuals have greater abilities to accumulate wealth and protect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment