Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Peaches & Profits: Georgia-The New Competitor in Film & Television Productions



            Many of us know New York, Louisiana, and California as states renowned for film and television productions but now these states must prepare and make room for their newest competitor-Georgia! In recent years, Tyler Perry, of Tyler Perry Studios, has built his multi-million dollar studio and EUE/Screen Gems has renovated their 33-acre film/television premises. Atlanta is also home to entertainment companies Turner Studios and Rainforest Films. Additionally, one can include top reality television shows such as Bravo’s Real Housewives of Atlanta; VH1’s Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta; and now Oxygen’s Bad Girls Club into Georgia’s television production portfolio! Furthermore, many great television series: Drop Dead Diva, The Walking Dead, Teen Wolf, Necessary Roughness, Single Ladies, and Vampire Diaries scenes have been shot in GA. Finally, one would be remissive in doing a proper roll call without including some of GA’s recent films for instance-Fast 5 (which opened at No.1 in the Box Office), Joyful Noise, Footloose, American Reunion, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, The Three Stooges, and X-Men: First Class
(Check out this site for more fun facts about Georgia!)


            Georgia is now one of the top 5 production locations in the country. And the reasons are not only due to GA’s beautiful, scenic landscape; talented workforce, and wide array of production and recording facilities. GA has an astounding 20% tax incentive!  Included in this package is a unique peach logo in the credits- that will earn prospective companies an additional 10% bonus. Can you say cha-ching!?! According to the AJC, the original bill (Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act) was passed in 2008. Eligibility for tax credits includes the production company spending at least $500,000 in Georgia in a given year. The competitive income tax credit has appealed to entertainment industry leaders and the Georgia Camera Ready program encourages private partners to build sound stages, post-productions venues, and additional infrastructure to support large-scale productions.

            In 2011 alone, Georgia’s Film, Music, & Digital Entertainment economic benefit generated virtually $2.5 billion; which positively impacted thousands of businesses. Since 1972, over 700 feature films, TV movies, TV series, single episodes and pilots have been produced and accrued over $7 billion in Georgia. According to the Georgia website , the average feature film budget is $41.7 million and over 25,000 Georgia residents are employed in the entertainment industries, including 11,000 full-time equivalent positions. The film and television production industry has impacted Georgia tremendously especially with attracting filmmakers, tourism, and employing the many talents in Georgia. 
            Being a native Georgian I'm  exuberant about the entertainment opportunities that exist here. Georgia has more than 14 colleges/universities that offer degrees or studies in film and television. My alma mater, Clark Atlanta University, is one such university and I can attest that it thoroughly prepared me (at the undergraduate level) for success in the entertainment industry.  Presently, I’m enrolled in a Master’s program at Full Sail University and I’m gaining more knowledge and entertainment acumen. Each day I feel more empowered and equipped for success. I love this journey!!!

 Georgia is definitely on my mind! Is it on yours too?

I hope that these words encourages anyone who reads them. 

Thanks for stopping by & I welcome all feedback!

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Ms. Brown, I enjoyed and was attentive to the text, art work, and the consistent theme of your full blog. The energy is very evident, along with the well presented information. Excellent content and blog development!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classmate:
    Your blog post was awesome! I had just written about Georgia and their aggressive commitment to attracting filmmakers in my last paper for this class. I did know of Tyler Perry's studios, but I did not know that it was open to other filmmakers. Your blog was very informative and I appreciate your work. Much of this information will help me in deciding where we will film our net project. We have been eying Atlanta for a while now. Check us out at www.smashentertainmentllc.com when you get a chance. We have several upcoming projects and the ATL may be where we end up.

    Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classmate:
    Hi Courtney,

    I just finished reading your blog, I love to see another film focused blog from the Black/Female perspective. It looks like Georgia is a wonderful place for people of color to develop film industry careers. This is something I struggle with myself here in Massachusetts. I haven't met enough mixed-race industry professionals since moving here. I also like the focus on Georgia as a point of industry growth.

    The one comment I would have about possibly improving the blog is the highlighted text for the body of your post. On my first post, I wrote on Word then copied and pasted it into Blogger. I got a white highlight around my text. Blogger doesn't like when you try to remove the highlight either. Apparently, when you copy/paste from Word a lot of extra code comes along with it and Blogger responds by highlighting your text. Before I found an explanation for this online, I struggled with it a bit and then ended up retyping my whole post into the Blogger box directly. I'm not sure if this is what happened to you too but just in case here is a link to a helpful type site I found on avoiding the highlight.

    http://theedublogger.com/2009/01/20/why-you-shouldnt-write-your-posts-using-word/

    I'll can't wait to read your next post.

    Sharmane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classmate:
    Courtney,

    I would first like to mention that I love the layout of your blog! I also like how you named the title “Peaches and Profit” which is very catchy. You will be able to complete plenty of good blogs from your theme with so many films being created in Georgia. In my opinion, Tyler Perry has really done an awesome job in breaking into the film industry in a location that is different than the norm. It would really be awesome if you were able to take a tour of Tyler Perry Studios and maybe write a blog about your visit. I would like to wish you luck and let you know that you are off to a good start.

    Dominque

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teacher:

    I really enjoyed this blog post! Your writing style is perfect for a blog!

    N. Carver

    ReplyDelete